Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Museum Reflection

First off, I did not even know what downtown Bloomington was. Second, I did not know that the building we were suppose to go to was a museum.

It was actually a fun experience to see and learn thing regarding many aspects of Bloomington, from working to politics and even the Vietnam War.

It was interesting learning about all the tribes and groups of people that came to into town such as the Kannekuk, Anabaptists, and others. I was even able to connect to the Yankees when it comes to alcohol, my friends would be the Germans or Irish. My friends and I usually clash when it comes to our views on it. I do not drink at all... and they seem to use it as a social tool. I was also able to connect witht the farming aspect of Bloomington. Mostly when it came downt to the log cabins, I use to live in one when I was in Mexico.

I also did not know that Illinois was the first state east of the Missippi River to allow woman to vote. Which actually made me feel prideful about our state.

The Gallery I enjoyed the most though, was teh Work Gallery. I enjoy learning about things about how the Native Americans were pretty much screwed over in every way. I learned that a big reason why they were unable to servive was the fact that fur was in such high demand. Then because of that, the white settleers pretty much killed all the game making Native American's way of living dissapear. I also learned that I spend hundreds of dollars on what was once the biggest employers in the 19th century. I take the train home almost every weekend so I am contributing to one of the most important "builders" of this town.... makes me feel good =]

I loveeeed the Vietnam War room as well! I even took a picture in the pit! However, most of those thing I alread knew...

I have to admit that it really bothered me knowing that racism was a big part of Bloomington... yet, it should not surprise me because it was everywhere at least once.

No comments:

Post a Comment