Monday, June 15, 2009

Last Post...

I was told in high school that I would never be happier as a college student any other day but the last day of class. However, they, for once, were wrong. I was pretty sad knowing that the only class I’ve enjoyed here at ISU was over. (Y es that does mean that I enjoyed it more than my Calc or Linear Algebra classes) So for everyone reading this blog, I want to thank you for welcoming me to the class. I have never felt as comfortable in a setting where I am the only Hispanic as I did in this class. And of course, thank you Erik for not talking down to us or shooting down our ideas or suggestions like many other professors.
Either way, I have to say my favorite part of the class was the overall discussions we had in class. Regardless of how boring the topic might have been such as describing the roles of the Judiciary branch to the descriptions of political parties, the discussions were always interesting. Even if we stuck to the power points, the conversations that we had gave it flavor and spice in a way that allowed all of us to share opinions and stay awake. I especially loved our conversations about how “sexy” politics could be. As well as discussing things about the military thanks to our fellow classmates. Aside from our conversations, I do have to admit another one of my favorite things was watching West Wing. I loved being able to see politics right before our eyes and see the works in action. It made it a lot easier to understand with an interesting and dramatical twist. It was obvious that the election episode was my favorite!
On the other hand, my least favorite was actually doing the homework. Just how I have said in class many times before, WORDS are NOT my friends! It would take me about three hours every day to read and understand the text. I hated it! I was literally looking up every other word in our first book. That book and I developed a “love hate” relationship. I hated it because it took up to much time and work, yet loved the way it made me enjoy politics. It was very lengthy, which I also hated, but very descriptive… which I loved. I think me and this book would actually make a good couple though. There would never be a dull moment in our relationship because we would always be arguing. I guess I actually loved the book, but it was still my least favorite.
Now for the next question, “How did you feel about your knowledge of government prior to this class and has it changed?” I did not think I even had a single idea what government was about. Even though I took government in high school it was very easy to BS my way out of it because our teacher was very… “Uncaring?” I did know some roles of the government and knew details about our immigration situation. However, I hated the fact that I did not know exactly how our government functioned or what it could and could not do. Other than that, I did not really care to know much about it. I knew that even though some things may affect me, there were more than enough people already involved to know what should be done that would ultimately give me the0Aadvantage of whatever was to change. I guess I was a huge contribution to the “free rider” problem. Now that the class is over I have completely changed my view and feelings towards politics. I hope to keep updated and educated on what is going on in the government. Not only learn more in specific of what they government does because of the constitution but also what it does because of the modern issues that our country faces today. I have developed a good interest in politics, something I never thought I would say, or have.
My friends I have to say, are worse than me. My friends are not politically involved what so ever! I was actually the only one in my group of ten friends that even graduated high school, let alone go to college. Because of them, and the majority of my other friends, I have noticed that there are many people who just like I “free ride” into our political solutions. I do not feel like enough of us or involved. Something that definitely has to change is the way that my Hispanic friends view politics. It is hard for us minorities to speak up when we are looked down upon, which is part of the reason we do not engage as much in politics. I feel the majority of us are very ignorant to what happens because we do not feel it will affect us. I am guilty of that as well. Overall, I feel we do not find the time or interest in politics to even really ca re….
I am actually thinking about double majoring in Political Sciences. I have felt that there is a lot that I could do not only for this community but for any when it comes to informing people what is going on in the world. However, for the moment, I will start looking information for political clubs around campus. I will also be applying for the secretary position for student gonverment, which I know would be a huge responsibility change. I just feel as promoter and advertiser I would be able to benefit not only the community but myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment